Join us for a panel from the UChicago Rising Stars in Data Science workshop focused on advice and tips for how to navigate an academic career in data science. Attendance will be remote via Zoom. These events are open exclusively to current UChicago PhD students and postdocs.
The Job Search – Perspectives from Recent Hires
Hear from faculty members who have recently been on the job market about their advice for how to approach the academic job search. The panel will discuss questions such as: Which departments should you apply to when there isn’t a department of Data Science? How do you make the most of a job interview and visit? What considerations are important to factor in when debating a postdoc vs. a tenure-track position?
- Rana Hanocka (Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science) – moderator
- Cong Ma (Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics)
- Audrey Sedal (Research Assistant Professor, Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago)
- Chenhao Tan (Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science)
- Victor Veitch (Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics and the College)
The Rising Stars in Data Science workshop at the University of Chicago focuses on celebrating and fast tracking the careers of exceptional data scientists at a critical inflection point in their career: the transition to postdoctoral scholar, research scientist, industry research position, or tenure track position. The Autumn 2021 workshop will showcase the exciting, innovative data science initiatives at UChicago as well as the research work of exceptional PhD students and postdocs from over 15 institutions nationwide and globally.